I love photography, I love instant gratification and I love personalizing everything–so I’m happy to be teaming up with FUJIFILM INSTAX® to come up with some holiday DIY ideas that satisfy all of those loves and will get the whole family involved too. First up? Our Instax mobile.
In my family, every year at Thanksgiving we go around the table and say what we are thankful for. This photo mobile is an extension of that concept. We thought that the mobile could include pictures of things we’re thankful for — and before the dinner friends and family can snap photos and add to it. It’s always nice to have little activities going on at these gatherings, yes?
This would also be a fun idea for a bridal or baby shower, birthday parties, and of course, Christmas or Hanukkah too. Here’s how to make the mobile:
2 embroidery hoops, 10″ and 14″ in diameter
Yarn (we chose white roving with gold leafing)
Mini clothes pins
Hot glue gun/glue sticks
Instax camera + film / Instax printer + film
Here’s what you do:
1. Separate the two parts of the embroidery hoops- we’re just using the inner hoop without the hardware for this project.
2. Tightly wrap each hoop with the yarn. When you get to the end, tie the two yarn ‘tails’ together and double knot. Trim any excess.
3. Decide how much space you want between the two levels of the mobile- we used about 10 inches- add an extra inch to your measurement and cut 3 lengths of baker’s twine. Depending on where you’ll be hanging your mobile, measure how long the twine suspending it needs to be- add an extra inch to that measurement as well and cut another 3 lengths of twine. Set twine aside.
4. Cut lengths of twine to suspend your photos from. You can do as many as you need, just make sure you have enough to balance the weight around the hoop. Vary the length of each piece to keep things visually interesting. Using a hot glue gun, secure the top of one side of the mini clothes pins to the end of each piece of twine. Set aside to cool.
5. Now it’s time to assemble the mobile! Start by placing the twine with the attached clothes pins around the larger (bottom) hoop. Tie them on by parting the wrapped yarn slightly, tying a double knot, and then squishing the yarn back together to hide the knot. Space them evenly around the hoop and alternate the lengths so it looks good.
6. Next, attach the two hoops together with the twine you already cut. Start by tying loose knots around each hoop so you can see where the best balanced spot is. Once it seems balanced, tie a double knot like you did in step 5.
7. Finish the assembly by attaching the twine that will suspend the mobile. Again, tie loose knots around the smaller (top) hoop and play with the placement until it’s balanced and will hang level, then make the double knots as in steps 5 & 6. Tie the three pieces of twine together in a knot at the top, trim the ends, and it’s ready to hang! We used a small c-hook screwed into the ceiling to hang ours over the table.
Now, as your guests arrive they can take their photos and clip them on to the mobile!
Next up is this super simple (and sweet) way to make personalized place-cards for your guests. Here’s how:
Instax printer + film
Mini birch rounds
Small hand saw
Here’s what you do:
1. Stalk your friends’ Instagrams and find their best selfie.
2. Print it out on the Instax printer.
3. Using a small hand saw, saw a slit in the center of the mini birch round, large enough to hold the Instax photo. Be careful not to cut all the way through the birch.
4. Write name (or message) on the bottom of the photo.
5. Place photo on plate and watch your guests gush at the cuteness.
Our last project was really fun to make. It’s a 2016 Instax Calendar that we’ve designed just for you and made available as a free downloadable situation. Take photos of your kids, your friends, or print out pictures from your friends’ Instagrams, and paste them to the calendar. Then give it as a holiday gift, keep it for yourself– or both! For full instructions and to download the calendar go here.
And in case you’re thinking, OK great, but I don’t have an Instax camera — I’ve got some happy news! We’re giving away two Instax packages today! Two winners will receive $500 worth of Instax goodies, including:
-Mini 90 camera
-Mini 8 camera
-Instax Share printer
-Decorative pegs to display photos around the house
To enter to win just visit our new board on Pinterest and leave a comment here saying one thing you’d love to do with your Instax. For bonus entries, share on social networks and leave the link to your posts in the comments below (up to 4 bonus entries per person). Two winners will be chosen at random. Sorry, but this giveaway is open to residents of the US only. Giveaway will close Wed. Nov. 18th at 9AM PST. Woohoo! Good luck.
*Comments are now closed. The randomly generated giveaway winners are: SARA N and Katie Basile! We will be in touch to send you your Instax!!