It should some as no surprise that we LOVE rattan here at Jungalow. It’s an insanely versatile natural material that has so many boho applications — from peacock chairs to gorgeously ornate wall shelves, bistro chairs, and funky side tables.
It’s a common mistake to confuse rattan for bamboo in furniture (I did for years), and while they can look similar from the outside, one of the main difference between rattan and bamboo is on the inside: bamboo is hollow, while rattan is not. Rattan is a vine-like species of palm, a woody stem that’s flexible, making it easy to mold into intricate shapes. Bamboo, on the other hand, is a wonderful construction material due to its strength, but it’s not cut out for bendy projects. Both wicker and cane furniture is also often made of rattan. Wicker is often made from the soft core of the stem.
The affordable material can be used indoor and outdoor, it’s neutral without being boring and can at once feel classic, modern and jungalicious. It’s a main material that we design with (you can see some our our rattan designs here, and read on to check out some of our favorite rattan pretties of the moment.
- Rattan Oblong Patio Table
- Calif-Asia Mid-Century Rattan Chair
- Mid Century Rattan 2 Tier End Table
- Set of 2 Vintage Mid Century Bamboo Rattan Arm Chairs
- Rattan chairs – Rattan coffee table – Vintage – Barrel style chairs – cushions included
- Vintage Tortoise Burnt Bamboo Nesting Stools – Set of 3
- Vintage Bohemian Plant Stand Side Table
- Vintage Original Spring Loaded Cushion Pair for Mid Century Rattan Sofa and Chairs RARE