When Target challenged me to invent a fresh take on a holiday tablescape, I had a flashback to my seven years spent in Italy — and I decided to take some inspiration from my life and time there. I wanted to convey celebratory feelings of abundance. I found myself inspired by the renaissance still-lifes, like this one by Caravaggio and thought to have the table festooned with fruit.
I imagined a decadent brunch, with grapefruits and panettone, mimosas and mixed metallics — but of course, these ideas can be borrowed for any holiday meal. So with that, here are some ideas to adopt from this festive, fruity extravaganza:
1. Elevate your everyday dishes with gold chargers.
2. Create a runner of winter fruits to create a gorgeous, colorful (and edible!) tablescape.
3. Leave some fruits whole, and slice others. I was happy to find stars inside the pomegranates and persimmons that helped add to the joviality of the whole situation.
4. Use winter greens on the table to enhance the holiday mood–we used huckleberry branches.
5. Mix metallics to create a festive feel — here we’ve mixed silver mercury glass bowls with gold chargers, and vintage gold flatware to add some sparkle.
6. Use unexpected vessels to hold food — this yogurt is sitting in a little glass mason jar. Top it with a star anise for a little added festive flavor.
7. Instead of candle-sticks, try adding sparkle to your table with gold and silver jars to hold your votives.
8. Use a dark table cloth (here I’ve used a vintage kantha quilt instead of a standard table cloth) and a light, colored runner to create some contrast for the backdrop of the table.
Photography and crafting by Danae Horst and Justina Blakeney
Creative Direction by Justina Blakeney